FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Thursday that companies had shown an interest in backing an expanded Club World Cup although he did not comment on reports that they had offered up to $25 billion for that and another proposed tournament.
Reports in the New York Times and Financial Times this week said a group of investors had offered the eye-watering amount to buy a revamped and enlarged Club World Cup and rights to a proposed global league for national teams..
“For two years we have been talking about a Club World Cup with 24 teams, more inclusive and with more respect for the international calendar, with fewer games,” Infantino told reporters at the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) annual conference.
European soccer’s governing body UEFA said Infantino had mentioned an offer at a FIFA Council Meeting in Bogota last month.
“We can confirm that the FIFA president mentioned an alleged offer to buy some rights at the FIFA Council meeting in Bogota.